By Walderico A. Valdes
Toronto - My life in Gagalangin is indeed an unforgettable milestone in my life because that's where I first met my soulmate, the love of my life, NITA. It all started sometime in 1950, in my early 20s. I just finished my 2-year Liberal Arts (Pre-Law) degree from the Ateneo de Manila, in Padre Faura, while boarding at an aunt's house in Dominga, Singalong. Then my Mom decided to move the family from Ilocos province to Gagalangin, Tondo, at the St.Rita Hospital, owned by Dr.Paulino and Dr.Pilar Valdes-Albano, known to us as Tio Paul and Tia Piling, our aunt. So I had to join them there, with Piani, my older brother (a UST Pre-Med grad), and with Josie and Charito, my two younger sisters, who just graduated from HS in Ilocos. The four of us siblings were all at the same time enrolled in college, the three at UST, and I at the Ateneo. This was of course a real financial burden on our early widowed Mother, but she was always able to cope with such family problems through her profound reliance on Divine Providence.
For a brief time, our quarters were in a temporary arrangement, thru the hospitality of our most generous hosts. Then Tio Paul, the "contractor" MD (who was responsible for remodelling and expanding the Hospital due to increasing medical needs of the poor people of Tondo), thru his initiative, with my Mom's consent, had a simple house built for us at the back of the hospital, where our family lived for at least four years.
On weekdays in going to and from school, my siblings and I always took the yellow-painted De Dios Transportation bus that had its route along Tomas Earnshaw Street in front of the Hospital.
On Sundays, our family would attend Holy Mass at the Gagalangin Church, a walking distance away from our place. During those times, Saturdays were my favorite days to which I eagerly look forward to. I would spend the day just 'standbying' in front of the St.Rita Drugstore, to be within close view of a tall, blooming, and beauteous 17-year old UST Pharmacy student (who happened to be a niece of Tio Paul), who comes to the Drugstore every Saturday to practice Pharmacy work. Many months had passed. Before long, my 'standbying' paid off, and I was able to gain the acquaintance of the 'apple of my eye', and later, her valued friendship.
Nita was then in 3rd year Pharmacy, and I was in 3rd year Law when we finally got engaged. This was indeed a personal victory for me over two of my serious rivals: one, a UST Medical graduate from Cavite, and the other, a Mapua Engineering graduate from Batangas. Hence, I had to make a make-or-break decision! Our engagement was on its 6th month in early May 1953, when we decided to elope, once and for all, unmindful of the consequences that would ensue from our rash judgement. (I found out later that we have set a precedent, that this was the first elopement in both sides of our families).
Nita and I emerged after in hiding for three days. My Mom brought us before Tio Paul and Tia Piling in order to apologize for what we did. Upon seeing us, Tio Paul reacted and went ballistic! He slapped Nita once, and started breaking plates and glasses in the dining room, while Tia Piling tried to calm him down. When the storm subsided, so to speak, we all sat down for dinner. After our meal, Tio Paul brought us to Nita's mother, where we met with some hostilities again. An elder sister threw a plastic "pulvera" at Nita; perhaps angry because she was left behind.
The next problem was to prepare quickly for a wedding ceremony. In two weeks time! Nita was sequestered in a vacant room at the Hospital for the duration. Tia Piling single-handedly worked on the wedding plans and made all the decisions in the selection of invitations, bride's gown, rings, entourage, sponsors, church, and reception. Nita and I had no say at all. Perhaps that was our punishment for breaking an established family convention. But we didn't complain.
And so on a bright morning in May 16,1953, at Gagalangin Church, Nita and I marched down the aisle, with full entourage, four well-known couples as sponsors (one of them was Sen.Quintin Paredes), and with the Rev.Fr.Pedro Pajarillo, as the celebrant. This was followed by a modest reception at Bahay Kubo Restaurant along Roxas Boulevard.
This story ends, dear Reader, like a fairy tale where the two people in love lived happily ever after in wedded bliss, for 53 long years to this day, with no regrets whatsoever, blessed with 9 children (+Gerry, Liz, Maite, Robin, Evie, Carol, Bambi, Patti, and Ying), and 13 lovely grandchildren (6 boys,7 girls).
Friday, May 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Mr. Valdes,
Nice to hear your life story. My dad was a close friend of Dr. and Mrs. Albano . If fact his son the Boy Scout was his Godchild who died at the plane crash. My Dad ( Mr. Ging Loo or Loo Chang ) was their neighbor closed to the back of the hospital the lumberyard which is used my Dad used to own before he died and another closed friend Mr. Zarate of St. Rita Saw Mill.
I remember when I was sick and hospitalized I got a free hospitalization in their hospital and also my two brothers and sister were delivered there. But when my father died we lost contact with the family.
I am just wondering if the hospital is still there and any contact with the Albano Family.
It'snice to know you happy family story.
Regards
Zeny Loo Ponce
Email address : gingloo2000@yahoo.com
Post a Comment